Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Family Health

What's going on? A question I've asked recently a lot. This all started a few weeks ago when I took Zach to the dr. to look at a suspicious mole. He noticed it and thought it didn't look right. Well, the dr. scraped it off to be sent to a lab. The results were "pre-cancerous" meaning if we left it alone, it would soon turn to cancer. So, we had to go to a dermatologist to have more of the area removed and he also found a mole on his back that looked bad too so he also removed that area. Zach was left with two scars about 1 1/2 inches each. Kevin watched the surgery.....I just tried to concentrate so I wouldn't pass out. Just listening to them describe the surgery made me want to vomit.

The Sunday following Zach's surgery, I found him passed out in his bathroom. I felt prompted to check on him and when he didn't respond, I had to break into the bathroom. It scared the crap out of me. He was awake but very pale, groggy and not too responsive. We tested his blood (remembering back a year ago to a scare with my niece) but that was fine. We took him to the ER and they ran all kinds of tests on him including an EKG. All tests came back fine. He looked much better. They ordered an EEG which we had done on Tues. The tech said he had beautiful brain waves and I watched the process. It was interesting and looked a bit like a lie detector test with a lot more lines running across it. I feel it will be fine but we have to wait for the results. The results came back on the second mole and it was benign.

Well, Kevin also went in to have his mole checked - family members know which mole that is but the dr. said it looked fine. Something he's had his whole life. He did say two spots on his hands (red, itchy) were definitely turning to cancer. He froze them off and we are waiting to see if they disappear. If not, he has to go back to have them removed.

Well......Kyle went in. For awhile, he did a lot of tanning and had a couple of strange looking moles. He now has to have three removed which are pre-cancerous also. Pre-cancerous means that there are cancerous cells starting to grow so even the area around the mole must be removed.

The dr. said moles and skin cancer can be hereditary so now all three of them will have to go back for yearly visits. Kevin twice a year. It's so good to get them caught at this stage and I'm glad we didn't just overlook them and not worry about them.

I encourage any of you who might read this to check your skin....anything that looks strange, get it checked. It's so worth it!

By the way, I wanted pictures but Zach wouldn't let me...hahaha.

2 comments:

faith0426 said...

WOW, I'm so happy Zach said something! I hope all the results come back fine. We will be praying for your family!

Love,
The Graham Family

For Petesakes said...

Wow.. How scary! I am so glad Zach's ok and everyone's moles are not cancerous. I noticed Kelly had a weird mole so I kept bugging him to go in. Well.. he wouldn't call the Dr. so I made him an appointment myself and even threatened a few things if he didn't go. lol He went and it was fine. That is some scary stuff.

How are you guys doing? Your boys are all so grown up.. It blows me away. We need to meet up sometime.