Last night, the women of our Relief Society had their annual Christmas Party. The theme was "100 Dresses". There was a little book we all read about a poor girl who pretended to have 100 dresses - which were really pictures she'd drawn. Anyway, we had a goal of collecting 100 dresses - new and used to give to various charities and women's shelters. After the dinner was over, we collected just under 200 dresses. It was really cool. One lady told a story of when she was 13 and there was a girl in her class who was very poor, etc. just like the book we read. She and her friends collected an older/still nice dress that didn't fit her anymore, shoes, socks, underwear and a coat. They secretly gave them to her for Christmas. At school after that, she saw this girl standing in front of a mirror in her new clothes admiring herself. She said "I got this dress for Christmas".....it was the sweetest true story from a woman I know and it was very touching. It helped me to feel more of the Christmas Spirit which I hadn't been feeling too much.
I hope in these tough economic times, we will still try to find ways to help those less fortunate than us even if it is just in service to someone. Also, if any of you have to plan events for Relief Society or Young Women's - this was a GREAT success and made us all feel warm and fuzzy!!!
4 comments:
Thats really neat, my mom was just tellng me the other day a ward in their stake did this exact same thing! She said it was awesome as well! The word must be spreading!
Wow.. that sounds so neat. What a neat idea.
Wow, that is so cool!! So, I want to know who told the story ~ wish I could have been there, and proud of you girl for going without me!
Your blog is so wonderful!! You're amazing girl~~ you keep it up so well, it's always fun to check in!
The story was told by Sandy Stone....it was really touching. Good thing I wasn't PMS or I would have been bawling. I made my sis-in-law Tammy go with me. Then I remembered we were on clean up so we stayed for that. It was cool - all of the older sisters did the dinner and they were packaging all of the leftovers in little bags to share with other older sisters not in attendance. It was a great experience!
Post a Comment